|Room 200C, Crescent House, Directorate of English, Politics & Contemporary History, University of Salford, Salford, Greater Manchester, UK, M5 4WT.|
|0161 295 6805|
I have been a Lecturer in International History at Salford since January 2014. Before this I completed my AHRC funded doctoral research on intelligence and security during the post-war Attlee government, 1945-1951. My research looks at the post-war interface between intelligence, security and policy in Britain.
I am willing to supervise dissertations on a range of topics including Britain and the Cold War, British intelligence and security, and contemporary intelligence and security issues. Recent subjects include British policy towards the Soviet Union, 1945-1949, the impact of the Suez crisis on British decolonisation, the development of British counter-insurgency in Malaya and Kenya, and post-war strategic deception.
My book Intelligence, Security and the Attlee Governments, 1945 - 1951 is available from Manchester University Press and was shortlisted for the Royal Historical Society's Whitfield Prize for first academic monograph. I have also published in the Journal of Intelligence History, Intelligence and National Security, The Historical Journal and The Journal of Imperial & Commonwealth History. Beyond academic publishing, I have contributed to The Conversation UK, BBC History Magazine, The New Statesman, History Today, as well as discussions on BBC 5 Live, ITV Granada, BBC Radio Scotland, Channel 5 News, and other media outlets.
In September 2019 I was awarded the Vice Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award.
- Intelligence and Conflict: British Intelligence at War (MAISS and MAISS-DL)
- The Secret State: Domestic Security in Britain, 1883-2013 (MAISS and MAISS-DL)
- Intelligence, Security and Politics in Britain (Level 5).
- Britain and the Cold War (Level 5).
- International History, 1789-1914 (Level 5).
- International History I, 1889-1945 (Level 4).
- International History II, 1945-2001 (Level 4).
Other Modules Contributed to:
- Issues in Intelligence (MAISS and MAISS-DL)
- Researching in History (Level 5)
- Introduction to Intelligece, Security & Terrorsm Studies (Level 4)
Programme Leader, MA in Intelligence & Security Studies by part-time distance learning.
Admissions Lead (Politics and Contemporary Hiistory).
31 July 2018: Evening Bulletin - Manchester Bombing
6th July 2018: Evening Bulletin - Manchester bombing and security services
ITV Granada Reports: Evening Bulletin - Manchester Bombing